Monday, October 19, 2009

Death

Whenever a child comes to you with a problem, you readily take it on. You try to make sure whatever it may be, you’ll be there and tackle it with everything you got, to make any problem or pain go away. But what do you do if the problem is death.

It was really hard explaining to the kids about my mom’s death then. I made this speech about her being old already, her heart giving out on her, and so on. I also told them that don’t worry or be sad about mom, because at that moment, she was being taken care of, she was in God’s hand. And it was hard for them to get closure for all they saw of their lola was an urn, but they eventually had gotten over it and started to move on.

But just three days ago, my oldest called me from school, an old friend was shot earlier that morning by a thief. When she came home that day, she was still so sad and all I could do was hug and ask her if she was okay. How do I comfort my child? When a good friend of hers was taken so young, I couldn’t make a speech about being old, or about his heart giving up. And how was I going to explain about the injustice of how he died. How do I make it better? I just wish that my feeble attempt at explaining death would have ease a bit of her pain. Death I realized, is part of life, although painful, it must be acknowledge and accepted.

I fervently hope that the family of my daughter’s friend, would be alright soon. It’s never easy losing someone you really love.

No comments:

Post a Comment